Iran holds mass wedding for 1,000 couples in "Sacrifice for Iran" event
Iran has held a mass wedding for at least 1,000 couples in Tehran as part of what state media called a "Sacrifice for Iran" event.
Couples who had agreed to fight for Iran if the country is attacked were celebrated with flowers, flags and balloons on Monday, and driven around on military vehicles.
At Imam Hossein Square, just one of the ceremony locations in the capital, 110 couples were married.
A mass wedding ceremony for 1,000 couples held in Tehran, Iran on May 18, 2026. As part of the ceremony, military vehicles decorated with flowers were used as wedding cars and convoy vehicles.
Fatemeh Bahrami/Anadolu/Getty
Israeli attacks have killed more than 3,000 people in Lebanon, health ministry says
Lebanon's health ministry said Monday that 3,020 people have been killed in Israeli attacks since early March, amid the neighboring nation's war with Iranian-backed Hezbollah. Another 9,273 people have been wounded, the ministry said.
Lebanese President Joseph Aoun said Monday he was ready to "do the impossible" to stop the war between Israel and Hezbollah, the U.S.- and Israeli-designated terrorist group based in his country.
Last week, a U.S.-brokered ceasefire between the governments of Israel and Lebanon was extended for 45 more days following a third round of talks in Washington, D.C., but Hezbollah has rejected both the truce and the negotiations, in which it has never been directly involved.
"The framework that Lebanon has set for the negotiations consists of an Israeli withdrawal, a ceasefire, the deployment of the army along the border, the return of the displaced, and economic aid," Aoun said Monday.
Hezbollah has continued attacking Israeli forces, who have occupied a significant swath of southern Lebanon, and firing rockets into northern Israel, claiming it is responding to Israel's ongoing attacks. Both sides have accused the other daily of violating the ceasefire.
The Israeli army warned yet more residents in southern Lebanese towns to evacuate their villages Tuesday ahead of strikes. Lebanese officials say more than 1 million people have been displaced by the war.
CBS/AFP
Trump warns assault on Iran could happen "on a moment's notice" if deal isn't reached
President Trump warned that a full, large-scale assault of Iran could happen "on a moment's notice" if a deal isn't reached.
Mr. Trump said in a social media post he's not going ahead with a planned attack of Iran on Tuesday, saying "serious negotiations" are taking place.
Iran said it's focused entirely on an agreement to end the war, but has not discussed any details on nuclear matters, the Trump administration's top issue.
Trump says U.S. "will NOT" follow through with "scheduled" military attack on Iran
President Trump on Monday afternoon said the U.S. "will NOT" follow through with "scheduled" attacks on Iran on Tuesday, after he said partner nations in the Middle East asked him to hold off. The president made the announcement on Truth Social.
"In their opinion, as Great Leaders and Allies, a Deal will be made, which will be very acceptable to the United States of America, as well as all Countries in the Middle East, and beyond," he wrote. "This Deal will include, importantly, NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR IRAN!"
He said he told Pentagon leaders that while "we will NOT be doing the scheduled attack of Iran tomorrow," he instructed them "to be prepared to go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment's notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached."
Iranian officials lay out their terms for a peace deal and claim it was the U.S. that sought negotiations
An Iranian lawmaker has claimed the U.S. requested the ceasefire and negotiations between the two countries, not the other way around.
"The Islamic Republic of Iran never requested negotiations with the United States during the war," Ebrahim Rezaei, spokesperson for Iran's Parliament National Security and Foreign Policy Commission, said Monday, according to Iran's ISNA news agency.
Iran's Deputy Foreign Minister for Legal and International Affairs, Kazem Gharibabadi, also said Monday that Iran had submitted its latest proposal for a peace deal, but that U.S. representatives "have not yet provided an official response."
He said that for a peace deal to materialize, "war on all fronts, including Lebanon, must end; U.S. forces must withdraw from the region surrounding Iran; the maritime blockade must be lifted; sanctions must be removed; and Iran's assets must be released."










English (US) ·