The two British nationals tragically lost their lives in an avalance while on holiday at a popular ski resort.

21:39, Mon, Feb 16, 2026 Updated: 21:57, Mon, Feb 16, 2026

Shaun Overy

Shaun Overy died on Friday (Image: LINKEDIN)

The two British nationals who lost their lives in an avalanche last week have been pictured for the first time. Stuart Leslie, 46, and Shaun Overy, 51, were holidaying in the ski resort of Val d'Isere, France, when tragedy struck on Friday, February 13. 

The pair were part of a group of four skiing off-piste under the supervision of an instructor when they were swept away by an avalanche. Rescue services found the bodies of the two UK nationals in a stream 400 metres down the Manchet valley. Another skier, a French national, who was skiing solo above the group also lost their life. 

Mr Leslie was a sales and marketing director for Barratt Redrow construction company, while Mr Overy ran a plumbing business in Wimbledon, southwest London.  

Mr Leslie is believed to have been an experienced skier and a fan of off-piste tracks. 

In a tribute shared on social media, his friend Craig Hunter said: “We have lost a true legend – our beautiful Stuart.”

He also said: “He lived life to the absolute maximum — he packed 10 men’s lives into one. He squeezed everything out of every moment. We shared endless laughs, unforgettable memories and our dreams that were coming reality. 

Stuart Leslie

Stuart Leslie is believed to have been an experienced off-piste skier (Image: FACEBOOK)

“We ate like kings, danced like no one was watching, built businesses, shared Barcelona, the UK, France, Dubai.” 

A manslaughter investigation, led by the CRS Alpes mountain rescue police, has been launched, in accordance with routine procedure whenever a fatal skiing accident occurs.

The latest news from around the world Invalid email

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you've consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. Read our Privacy Policy

The avalanche happened after Storm Nils battered the region with fresh snow, with authorities describing the pile-up as a "very unstable snow cover".  

Val d’Isère’s piste director Cédric Bonnevie said it was unclear whast had caused the avalanche.