More US warplanes are believed to have arrived in the Middle East, joining a "great armada" and wider military surge as Donald Trump considers strikes on Iran.

09:32, Fri, Feb 20, 2026 Updated: 09:32, Fri, Feb 20, 2026

The E-3 Sentry

The E-3 Sentry detects, identifies and tracks threats using its huge rotating radar dome (Image: Getty)

American warplanes have been seen flying across Europe and towards the Middle East amid reports the US could be ready to strike Iran by Saturday. Donald Trump said he will decide whether to launch action against Iran in the next 10 days as he puts pressure on Tehran to agree to a new deal over its nuclear programme. 

"We may have to take it a step further, or we may not,” the US President said on Thursday. “Maybe we’re going to make a deal. You’re going to be finding out over the next probably 10 days." It is thought Mr Trump is yet to have made a final decision on whether to launch an attack, but the US has been steadily ramping up its military presence in the region.

Donald Trump

Donald Trump has been threatening military action on Iran (Image: Getty)

On Thursday, at least six US warplanes were tracked flying across Europe in the direction of the Middle East.

This included a KC-135 air-to-air refuelling tanker, two E-3 surveillance jets, two C-17 transport planes and two H C-130J personnel recovery planes.

Mr Trump has already sent a “great armada” to the region, spearheaded by the USS Abraham Lincoln aircraft carrier.

*** Ensure our latest news headlines always appear at the top of your Google Search by making us a Preferred Source. Click here to activate or add us as Preferred Source in your Google search settings. ***

The USS Gerald R Ford — the world’s biggest warship — is on its way too, bringing the US Navy’s presence in the region to 14 ships.

It’s thought around 50 additional US fighter jets have also arrived in the Middle East, as well as additional tankers and cargo planes.

The build-up gives Mr Trump a range of options to launch major action against Iran, if he decides to give the order.

He has repeatedly threatened to use force to compel Iran to agree to constrain its nuclear programme and earlier over Tehran’s bloody crackdown on nationwide protests.

Last week, Mr Trump said a change in power in Iran “would be the best thing that could happen”.

The latest news from around the world Invalid email

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you've consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. Read our Privacy Policy

Iran has insisted its nuclear programme is peaceful and suggested it is prepared to strike any US bases in the region in response to action from Washington.

The UK has not yet given permission for the US to use British bases over fears that an attack on Iran would be a breach of international law, reports suggest.