Turkey has been hit by a 6.1 magnitude earthquake sparking scenes of destruction and damaged buildings.
19:39, Sun, Aug 10, 2025 Updated: 19:39, Sun, Aug 10, 2025
live
Scenes of destruction have been shared on social media. (Image: X)
Turkey has been rocked by a 6.1 magnitude earthquake tonight (Sunday) as rescuers and locals searching collapsed buildings for survivors. Images posted on social media show damaged buildings and scenes of destruction with people scouring the rubble for signs of anyone trapped.
The quake was at a depth of 10 km (6.21 miles), according to German Research Centre for Geosciences(GFZ)
Turkey's disaster management agency AFAD said the quake occurred at around 7:53pm local time in the Balikesir province, near the country's biggest city Istanbul, but there were no immediate reports of casualties or damage in any of the affected provinces.
Posting on X, the AFAD issued advice to those affected by the quake, it said: "After the earthquake, absolutely do not enter damaged structures.
"Stay away from the vicinity of risky buildings. Conduct your communications via short message service (SMS) and internet-based messaging applications. Follow the warnings of official authorities."
THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS STORY AND IS BEING CONSTANTLY UDPATED.
Mayor of town at epicentre says four people rescued so far
Sindirgi’s mayor Serkan Sak told HaberTurk that four people were rescued from a collapsed building in the town while rescuers were trying to reach two other people from the structure.
Several houses also collapsed in the nearby village of Golcuk, he said. The minaret of a mosque also tumbled down in the village.
Post on X, interior minister Ali Yerlikaya said: "In our Sindirgi District, one building has collapsed. Two citizens inside the building have been rescued, and efforts to rescue two other citizens are ongoing.
"Our Gendarmerie continues search operations in surrounding villages. Updates will be provided as developments occur."
Images from the affected zone show collapsed buildings
People and emergency workers gather around a collapsed building in the Sindirgi district of Balikesir, Turkey. One peson can be seen lying on the ground.
People search a collapsed building after the quake (Image: Getty )
Earthquake was 'expected' professor tells Turkish media
Speaking to Turkish news site Hurriyet, Dr. Süleyman Pampal said a number of magnitude 4-5 earthquakes have been occurring around Sındirgi in recent months.
He added: "This is an area at the head of the Simav Fault. Moving east from Sindirgi you'll find the area affected by the 1970 Gediz Earthquake, which caused widespread destruction and loss of life. In the immediate north of this fault, there are other historical faults related to it.
"In fact, the region that was the epicentre of today's earthquake experienced a 3.4 magnitude tremor about an hour before the main 6.1 magnitude earthquake. The main 6.1 magnitude earthquake followed immediately thereafter."
Turkish minister says 'no adverse situations reported'
Turkish interior minister Ali Yerlikaya posted on X: "A 6.1magnitude earthquake occurred in Sındırgı, Balıkesir. The earthquake, which was also felt in Istanbul and surrounding provinces, has prompted AFAD and all relevant institutions to immediately begin field surveys.
"As of now, no adverse situations have been reported. We are monitoring the situation moment by moment.
"I extend my wishes for a speedy recovery to the citizens affected by the earthquake. May God protect our country and nation from disasters."
Turkey sits on four major fault lines - epicentre identified near town of Sindirgi
Local media reports that at least one building collapsed in the town of Sindirgi, near the epicenter of the earthquake.
Turkey sits on top of major fault lines and earthquakes are frequent.
In 2023, a magnitude 7.8 earthquake killed more than 53,000 people in Turkey and destroyed or damaged hundreds of thousands of buildings in 11 southern and southeastern provinces.
Another 6,000 people were killed in the northern parts of neighboring Syria.
Posting on X, the AFD wrote: "On August 10, 2025, at 19:53, a 6.1 magnitude earthquake occurred in the Sındırgı district of Balıkesir province.
"The earthquake was felt in the provinces of Manisa, İzmir, Uşak, and Bursa.
"So far, a total of 7 aftershocks with a magnitude above 3.0 have occurred. As of now, field surveys are ongoing.
"Personnel and vehicles have been dispatched from the AFAD Provincial Directorates of Çanakkale, İzmir, Afyonkarahisar, Uşak, Bursa, Sakarya, Kütahya, Bilecik, Manisa, and Kocaeli to support search and rescue operations.
"The Turkey Disaster Response Plan (TAMP) has been activated, and representatives of all disaster groups will gather at the AFAD Presidency Disaster and Emergency Management Center.
"We extend our best wishes to the affected citizens. Developments are being monitored."
Turkey is the third most affected country in the world for earthquake casualties
Turkey ranks third in the world in terms of earthquake-related casualties and eighth with regard to the total number of people affected.
Every year, the country experiences at least one 5 magnitude earthquake – which renders the proper management and coordination of disasters absolutely crucial.
Welcome to our live blog bringing you the latest updates after the shock news that Turkey has been hit by a 6.19 magnitude earthquake.
We'll be bringing you the latest news as we get it.
Invalid email
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you've consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. Read our Privacy Policy