The US president has claimed that member states also committed $5 billion to the “humanitarian” initiative
US President Donald Trump has said that members of his newly formed Board of Peace have pledged “thousands of personnel” and billions of dollars to a potential international stabilization force that will be tasked with administering Gaza.
In a post on Truth Social on Sunday, Trump said countries participating in the initiative would formalize their commitments at a February 19 meeting in Washington, describing the deployment as part of efforts to maintain “security and peace” in the Palestinian enclave.
“Member States have pledged more than $5 BILLION DOLLARS toward the Gaza Humanitarian and Reconstruction efforts, and have committed thousands of personnel to the International Stabilization Force and Local Police,” he wrote, adding that Hamas must uphold its commitment to a full and immediate “demilitarization.”
The US president did not identify which nations had pledged troops or funding. However, Indonesia’s military said it had 8,000 personnel on standby, potentially making it the first country to formally commit forces if the government gives a formal approval.
“Our troops are fully prepared and can be dispatched at short notice once the government gives formal approval,” Army spokesman Brig. Gen. Donny Pramono told AP on Sunday.
The so-called Board of Peace was formally established in mid-January as part of a Gaza peace roadmap, but Trump envisages the body as a quasi-alternative to the UN, with its influence stretching “far beyond.”
Trump named himself chairman and invited dozens of foreign leaders to join what he described as “the most consequential international body in history.”
Israel has reportedly accepted an invitation, while several European nations – including France, Germany, Italy, Sweden, and the UK – declined participation. Russia has confirmed receiving an invitation and said it is studying the proposal. Permanent membership beyond the initial three years will reportedly require contributions of $1 billion.
The US-led body is ostensibly intended to oversee reconstruction, security, and political transition in the enclave, but critics have questioned its mandate and the absence of Palestinian political representation. Hamas has previously said it remains committed to the peace process but will only disarm if Israeli forces withdraw from the enclave.

2 hours ago
1








English (US) ·