Trump has issued a stark new warning to Iran that the 'clock is ticking'.
18:57, Sun, May 17, 2026 Updated: 19:15, Sun, May 17, 2026
Trump has issued a new chilling threat to Iran (Image: Getty)
As ceasefire talks to end the war continue to stall, US President Donald Trump has issued a fresh warning to Iran, saying that “the clock is ticking". The 79-year-old, who is pushing for a peace agreement, warned that if Iran fails to reach a deal, “there won’t be anything left of them”.
Posting on his platform Truth Social, Trump wrote: "They better get moving, FAST, or there won't be anything left of them.
Get the latest news from around the world and more Invalid email
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you've consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. Read our Privacy Policy
"TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE!" Iranian media reported earlier today that Washington had failed to offer any meaningful concessions in its response to Tehran’s latest proposals aimed at ending the conflict.
Trump and Israel's PM, Benjamin Netanyahu, spoke on the phone earlier today, and spoke about Iran, according to an Israeli official.
Reports indicate that the US and Israel are making their most extensive preparations for renewed strikes on Iran since last month’s ceasefire agreement.
Earlier this week Trump said that the monthlong fragile ceasefire between the US and Iran is on “massive life support" after dismissing Tehran's response to a US peace proposal as "stupid".
He had called the Iranian counter to US proposals "totally unacceptable".
He said at the time: "I would call it the weakest, right now, after reading that piece of garbage they sent us – I didn’t even finish reading it.
Trump and Netanyahu spoke on the phone earlier today (Image: Getty)
"I would say the ceasefire is on massive life support, where the doctor walks in and says: 'Sir, your loved one has approximately a 1% chance of living."
Maj Gen Mohammad Ali Jafari, a former commander of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, said: "As long as the war on all fronts is not over, sanctions are not lifted, blocked funds are not released, war damages are not compensated and Iran’s sovereignty over the strait of Hormuz not recognised, there will be no other negotiations."
The two countries have been in conflict since February 28 when the US and Israel carried out joint strikes on several key Iranian sites. Tehran responded by striking sites across the Middle East and closing the critical Strait of Hormuz trade route.