
President Donald Trump said Friday he will sign an executive order imposing a new 10% "global tariff," hours after the Supreme Court struck down his sweeping "reciprocal" import duties in a major rebuke of his trade agenda.
The new "Section 122" tariffs will come on top of the existing levies that remain intact following the high court's decision, Trump said as he raged at the "deeply disappointing" ruling during a White House press briefing.
"I'm ashamed of certain members of the court, absolutely ashamed for not having the courage to do what's right for our country," Trump said.
The court's ruling invalidated the legal underpinning of many of the tariffs that Trump insists are essential for the U.S. economy and for rebuilding America's shrinking manufacturing base.
Trump was adamant that he will find other ways to impose tariffs without Congress.
"I don't have to," Trump said when asked why he did not want to work with the legislative branch. "I have the right to do tariffs."
Trump's remarks vacillated between defiant and scathing. He even went after Justices Neil Gorsuch and Amy Coney Barrett, whom he nominated, after they voted with the majority in the 6-3 tariff ruling.
"I think their decision was terrible," Trump said. "I think it's an embarrassment to their families, you want to know the truth. The two of them."
He said he will sign an order later Friday imposing the new 10% duties, which are being invoked under Section 122 of the Trade Act of 1974. Tariffs conjured using that statute can only last for 150 days, with any extension requiring congressional approval.
Asked at the press briefing about that time limit and about getting congressional buy-in, Trump said, "We have the right to do pretty much what we want to do."
Trump also declared that all the tariffs active under statutes known as Section 232 and Section 301 will remain "in full force and effect."
Read more CNBC coverage on tariffs
The Trump administration is also wielding Section 301 to launch several investigations into potentially unfair trade practices, which could result in additional new tariffs, Trump said.
The court's ruling struck down the tariffs Trump had invoked using the International Emergency Economic Powers Act, or IEEPA. Trump's reciprocal tariffs and his drug-trafficking-related duties both hinged on that law.
The high court majority ruled Friday that IEEPA "does not authorize the President to impose tariffs."
Most of the U.S. tariff revenue generated last year came from the IEEPA duties.
Trump said Friday, "other alternatives will now be used to replace the ones that the court incorrectly rejected."
"We'll take in more money, and we'll be a lot stronger for it," he said.
Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent, speaking at the Economic Club of Dallas shortly after Trump, said that the administration will replace the rejected IEEPA tariffs by leveraging a number of other existing tariff laws.
Doing so "will result in virtually unchanged tariff revenue in 2026," Bessent said. "No one should expect that the tariff revenue will go down."









English (US) ·