Fears of future Russian aggression against NATO have sparked calls for the line to be revived.
11:24, Wed, Aug 27, 2025 Updated: 11:24, Wed, Aug 27, 2025
Parts of the Iron Rhine railway have been abandoned since 1991. (Image: Dalheim Bahnhof)
The threat posed by Vladimir Putin's Russia could lead to the entirety of a 100-mile-long railway used by the German army during World War 2 being reopened. The Iron Rhine line linked Antwerp in Belgium with Germany’s industrial Ruhr region was built to ease trade, but the vital piece of infrastructure was also used to transport soldiers since its construction. As Europe was occupied in 1940, the route took German troops westwards. Later, it aided the advance of Allied troops as they repaired its bombed and sabotaged tracks and bridges.
Thee railway ceased to operate as an international freight rail route in 1991 after a key stretch, from Roermond in the Netherlands to the German border, was axed to save cash. But now, as future Russian aggression against NATO remains on the table, according to experts, renewed calls have been made for the reopening of the Iron Rhine to be reopened, with proponents arguing that it would bring economic benefits, and could be utilised to move NATO forces eastwards.
Railways transported troops around Europe during World War 2. (Image: Getty)
It could also count towards nations' required defence spending, it has been suggested, as cash spent on critical infrastructure counts under the additional 1.5% of GDP allocated for "defence and security related spending".
“The Iron Rhine is now more important than ever for defence,” Matthias Diependaele, the minister-president of the Belgian region of Flanders, told the Times.
He added: “The 5 per cent of GDP that Nato requires from us is divided into 3.5% pure defence spending and 1.5% that can be spent on infrastructure, for example."
But experts have said that the reopening would not happen quickly, and could take as much as 10 years.
Fears of further Russian aggression in Europe have sparked calls to reopen the railway. (Image: Getty)
There is also a rivalry between Antwerp and Rotterdam in the Netherlands - which would be more of a transit country for goods - to be considered, meaning the Dutch have purportedly not been in a rush to push the proposal forward.
But this may soon change, as €17billion may soon be available for military mobility from 2027 in the proposal for the EU's next long-term budget - described as "free money".
Earlier this month, Politico reported that Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany are in talks to revive the railway.
“This project is political,” said Thomas De Spiegelaere, spokesperson for the Belgian transport ministry told the site. “Prime Minister [Bart] De Wever has taken control of the project himself."
Invalid email
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you've consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. Read our Privacy Policy