Texas woman left 6 acres in 1916; her governor son added 250 acres to create its first park

1 week ago 22

Mother Neff State Park (Image Credit: Wikipedia) In 1916, a small piece of land along Texas’ Leon River became the starting point for what would eventually become the state’s first state park. Isabella Neff, known locally as Mother Neff, had long welcomed neighbours and community groups to the riverbank for picnics, gatherings, fishing and other events. She donated six acres of her favourite spot to the State of Texas for a park in 1916. According to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD), her son, Pat Neff, later expanded the family’s contribution by donating 250 acres to the state in 1934. What followed was the development of Mother Neff State Park, shaped further by the Civilian Conservation Corps and officially opened in 1937.A family arrives in TexasIsabella Eleanor Shepherd was born in Roanoke, Virginia, in 1830. She married Noah Neff in 1854, and after their marriage, the couple decided to move to Texas. Their journey from Roanoke to Belton took 52 days by carriage because they did not travel on Sundays.After spending three months in Belton, the couple moved into a small log cabin near Eagle Springs. There, they raised nine children. Their youngest son, Pat Morris Ne...

Read Entire Article






<