Spain says most migrants have returned to Morocco after deadly border rush

2 weeks ago 33

As thousands gathered near the border, Moroccan security forces used batons and tear gas to push back crowds Spain said on Friday that it had regained control of a massive migrant surge into its North African enclave of Ceuta, with most of the more than 50,000 people who crossed the border by land and sea voluntarily returning to Morocco. The unprecedented influx left dozens dead and triggered political tensions across Europe.Spanish authorities said 57 bodies had been recovered on the Spanish side of the border. Officials warned that the death toll could be higher as there may have been additional casualties on the Moroccan side. According to the government, some migrants drowned while others were crushed as they attempted to climb the breakwater supporting the border fence.Spain's interior ministry said around 50,000 migrants entered Ceuta between Thursday and Friday, with about 48,300 having already returned to Morocco by Friday evening. Ceuta regional president Juan Jesus Vivas, however, estimated that the total number of crossings could have reached 60,000 over the two days.As thousands gathered near the border, Moroccan security forces used batons and tear gas to push back cr...

Read Entire Article






<