‘Seeking end to sanctions regime’: US human rights groups sue Trump over ICC crackdown

1 week ago 21

US president Donald Trump being sued by human rights groups over sanctions on ICC Four major US human rights organisations have sued the Trump administration over its sanctions campaign against the International Criminal Court (ICC), arguing that the measures are unconstitutional and restrict their ability to work with the court.The lawsuit, filed in New York on Tuesday, challenges an executive order issued by President Donald Trump last year that authorised sanctions against ICC prosecutors, judges and others associated with the court, reported Reuters. The groups said the sanctions have prevented them from cooperating with the ICC in cases involving genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity.Human Rights Watch, the Open Society Institute, the American Friends Service Committee and the Center for Constitutional Rights are the plaintiffs in the case. “The plaintiffs are seeking an end to this sanctions regime, which transgresses the president’s authority and violates international and U.S. law, including the rights to freedom of expression and religion,” said Andrew Loewenstein of law firm Foley Hoag LLP, which is representing the groups.The lawsuit is the latest legal challe...

Read Entire Article






<