Supreme Court ruling supports Kremlin’s clampdown ahead of September’s parliamentary vote.Published On 17 Aug 202617 Aug 2026Russia’s top court has rejected an appeal by the anti-war Yabloko party against a recent ruling banning it from taking part in upcoming elections, while another court jailed its deputy leader for 11 years.The opposition party confirmed on Monday that its appeal had failed. Opposition activists said the ban is evidence of the increasing erosion of Russia’s democracy and an attempt to silence opposition to the war in Ukraine.Recommended Stories list of 2 itemslist 1 of 2Russia-Ukraine war: List of key events, day 1,317list 2 of 2Russia bars only party opposing war in Ukraine from parliamentary voteend of listThe Supreme Court handed down the ban last week, removing the only registered political party calling for an end to the Russia-Ukraine war from the ballot in September’s parliamentary vote.“The Appeals Chamber of the Supreme Court upheld the court’s decision to revoke the registration of Yabloko’s federal list of candidates for the State Duma elections,” the party said in a statement on Monday, adding that it would seek a supervisory review.The case agains...

3 days ago
12







English (US) ·