Morocco blames Ceuta migrant rush on 'misleading information' on social media

2 weeks ago 26

Morocco's interior ministry on Sunday issued its first toll for those who died trying to reach Spain's North African enclave of Ceuta last week, saying 11 people had died. The figures are significantly lower than those issued by Spain, which says at least 72 people died. Tens of thousands of would-be migrants crossed into the territory between Wednesday and Friday, sparking a diplomatic row within the European Union as some member states criticised Spain's migration policies. Read moreSpain's Ceuta navigates aftermath of border surge as most migrants return home Rachid El Khalfi, a spokesman for Morocco's interior ministry, said that of the 11 who died, 10 had drowned, while an eleventh person fell from a rocky area. 'Pure political theatre': Ceuta migrant crisis 'used politically' to make Europe seem 'under attack' To display this content from YouTube, you must enable advertisement tracking and audience measurement. One of your browser extensions seems to be blocking the video player from loading. To watch this content, you may need to disable it on this site. Cover image: © France 24 06:47 Morocco was working with Spain to check the toll figures and to identify bodies found on Sp...

Read Entire Article






<