Colombia's new president asks Trump to suspend tariffs after deadly earthquake

4 days ago 19

Colombia's new President Abelardo de la Espriella on Saturday called on his US counterpart Donald Trump to suspend tariffs currently targeting the South American nation, which is reeling after a deadly earthquake. US tariffs on Colombian products rose from 10 percent to 12.5 percent in late July, with a few exceptions including coffee and oil. "I asked him to consider to temporarily suspend the high tariffs that are affecting Colombian products, in order to give some relief to our business owners, who are facing very difficult times due to the effects of the earthquake," De la Espriella said on X. The increased tariffs went into effect on July 24, replacing an expiring global duty rolled out by Trump earlier this year. Read moreColombia earthquake rescue efforts enter 'final phase' as death toll rises De la Espriella said he has spoken for about 10 minutes with Trump, who expressed his condolences over the deaths from Monday's 7.4-magnitude quake. "The conversation was very friendly and cordial," the Colombian leader said. "I told him that we have a huge challenge ahead: rebuilding Colombia amid the extremely difficult and apocalyptic economic situation that I inherited." The tremo...

Read Entire Article






<