Burnham approves US use of UK bases for defensive strikes on Iran: Report

4 weeks ago 25

Andy Burnham approves US use of UK bases for strikes on Iran Newly appointed UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham has approved the use of British military bases by the US for what the UK calls defensive strikes against Iran, Bloomberg reported. This is a continuation of the policy of his predecessor Keir Starmer as the war in the Middle East continues to escalate.Starmer led a meeting of senior ministers and officials on Friday to discuss British policy following the resumption of US operations earlier this month, according to people familiar with the matter. Ministers decided to continue the existing policy that bases at Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean and RAF Fairford in Gloucestershire could be used by US planes flying missions aimed at countering the Iranian missile threat and targeting sites used to threaten the Strait of Hormuz.Burnham, who became prime minister on Monday, was informed of the discussion and agreed with the decision, the people said, speaking on condition of anonymity to Bloomberg.The decision means British bases are likely to be used for some of the current round of American operations, which entered their 10th day on Wednesday. US Central Command said it targeted...

Read Entire Article






<