Brazil’s top prosecutor charges Bolsonaro for alleged 2022 coup attempt

1 month ago 18

By Eléonore Hughes And Mauricio Savarese The Associated Press

Posted February 18, 2025 7:16 pm

1 min read

 'Brazil’s Jair Bolsonaro indicted for alleged 2022 coup attempt'

0:27 Brazil’s Jair Bolsonaro indicted for alleged 2022 coup attempt

Brazil’s federal police said Thursday they indicted former President Jair Bolsonaro and 36 other people for allegedly attempting a coup to keep him in office after his defeat in the 2022 elections – Nov 21, 2024

Brazil’s prosecutor-general on Tuesday filed charges against former President Jair Bolsonaro for attempting a coup to stay in office after his 2022 election defeat.

Prosecutor-General Paulo Gonet alleges that Bolsonaro and 33 others participated in a plan to remain in power despite losing to current President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva.

Last November, Federal Police filed a 884-page report with Gonet detailing the scheme. They allege it involved systematically sowing distrust of the electoral system among the populace, drafting a decree to give the plot a veneer of legality, pressuring top military brass to go along with the plan, and inciting a riot in the capital.

Get the day's top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

Get daily National news

Get the day's top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

The Supreme Court will analyze the charges and, if accepted, Bolsonaro will stand trial.

The far-right leader denies wrongdoing. “I have no concerns about the accusations, zero,” Bolsonaro told journalists earlier on Tuesday during a visit to the Senate in Brasilia.

Story continues below advertisement

“Have you seen the coup decree, by any chance? You haven’t. Neither have I,” he added.

Trending Now

A lawyer for Bolsonaro did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

 'Bolsonaro barred from running for office until 2030 by Brazilian court'

1:02 Bolsonaro barred from running for office until 2030 by Brazilian court

&copy 2025 The Canadian Press

Read Entire Article






<