Brawl breaks out in Mexican Senate after debate on drug cartels

21 hours ago 1

Mexico’s Senate erupted into a brawl on Wednesday with senators throwing punches, pushing and shouting following a heated debate over alleged calls for the United States military to intervene against drug cartels.

Alejandro “Alito” Moreno, head of the opposition Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI), confronted Senate president Gerardo Fernandez Noroña of the ruling Morena party, as lawmakers were singing the national anthem to mark the end of the day’s hearing.

The tussle broke out after a debate about the presence of armed forces from other countries in Mexico, Fernandez Noroña said in a press conference after the fight.

In a livestreamed video, Moreno could be seen approaching Fernandez Noroña, reportedly saying, “I’m asking you to let me speak,” and grabbing Fernandez Noroña by the arm.

“Don’t touch me,” Fernandez Noroña reportedly responded.

Story continues below advertisement

That’s when the two began pushing each other, with Moreno knocking over a photographer during the fight.

Another lawmaker entered the scuffle, swinging at Fernandez Noroña as he tried to step away.

“(Moreno) started pulling on me, touching me, pushing. He hit me and said, ‘I’m going to beat the s— out of you, I’m going to kill you,'” Fernandez Noroña alleged.

Sen. Alejandro Moreno (L) of the Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI) throws a punch at Sen. Gerardo Fernandez Norona of the National Regeneration Movement Party (Morena) during a session of the Permanent Commission of the Senate in Mexico City on Aug. 27, 2025. STRINGER/AFP via Getty Images

But Moreno claims that Fernandez Noroña had swung at him first.

In a statement posted on X, Moreno said that “everyone saw what happened” in the Senate chamber and “it’s important to explain it clearly.”

Get the day's top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

Get daily National news

Get the day's top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

“Let it be clear: the first physical aggression came from Noroña. He threw the first shove, and he did it out of cowardice,” he wrote.

Story continues below advertisement

Hoy en la Cámara de Senadores pasó lo que todos vieron, y es importante explicarlo con claridad.

Había un orden del día aprobado. Minutos antes de llegar al punto correspondiente, Morena lo cambió a su conveniencia para callarnos y evitar que la oposición pudiera pronunciarse.…

— Alejandro Moreno (@alitomorenoc) August 27, 2025

Fernandez Noroña said he would call an emergency session for Friday and will propose expelling Moreno and three other lawmakers for the incident. He also said he planned to file a complaint against Moreno for bodily harm.

“The debate could be very harsh, very bitter, very strong … today when (opposition legislators) are exposed for their treason, they lose their minds because they were exposed,” he added.

On Thursday, Moreno used the footage as part of a campaign video on X.

“Thanks to the great CEN family for their support! With their strength and with their voice, PRIism will continue standing in the fight. In every street, in every municipality, and in every corner of Mexico, we are going to face this narcodictatorship that wants to subdue the people,” he wrote.

Story continues below advertisement

“Mexico deserves freedom, justice, and a government that serves, not one that destroys. And have no doubt: We are going to achieve it,” Moreno added.

¡Gracias a la gran familia cenecista por su respaldo! Con su fuerza y con su voz, el priismo seguirá en pie de lucha. En cada calle, en cada municipio y en cada rincón de México, vamos a enfrentar a esta narcodictadura que quiere someter al pueblo.

México merece libertad,… pic.twitter.com/cdzKHpwzhl

— Alejandro Moreno (@alitomorenoc) August 28, 2025

Trending Now

Earlier this month, Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum said that members of the U.S. military would not be entering Mexican territory after a news report that Washington may take such action to combat drug cartels.

The New York Times reported that Trump had signed a directive to the Pentagon to begin using military force against certain Latin American cartels.

Sheinbaum said her government had been informed of a coming order but that it had nothing to do with U.S. military operating on Mexican soil.

Story continues below advertisement

 'Mexico would reject any unilateral US military action, president says'

0:46 Mexico would reject any unilateral US military action, president says

In February, Sheinbaum said that Mexico will not tolerate an “invasion” of its national sovereignty after the Trump administration moved to formally designate eight Latin American crime organizations as “foreign terrorist organizations.”

“This cannot be an opportunity for the U.S. to invade our sovereignty,” Sheinbaum said during her daily press briefing. “With Mexico, it is collaboration and coordination, never subordination or interventionism, and even less invasion.”

“We want to be clear, given this designation, that we don’t negotiate our sovereignty,” Sheinbaum added. “There can be no interference or subordination. Both countries want to reduce the consumption of drugs and the trafficking of illegal drugs.”

Sheinbaum said her government was not consulted by the United States in its decision to include Mexican cartels on a list of global terrorist organizations, including the Sinaloa cartel, United cartel, the Michoacana family and the Jalisco New Generation cartel.

Story continues below advertisement

Canada has also listed seven transnational criminal organizations — including multiple drug cartels — as terrorist entities under the Criminal Code.

With files from Reuters

&copy 2025 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Read Entire Article






<